12.16.2010

How Can You Call This A Home, When You Know It's A Grave?

I'll be brief because I'm writing this using the small chunk of personal time I've been able to grab at work lately.

Whale bones (bones in general) are hard to work with! While the crosses from my show were a tricky shape to compose in, these bones are a tricky shape and have the additional issue of curves and bumps. After a failed attempt at transferring an ill-fitted drawing and having to use a palm sander to get it off I finally worked out an image that I think fits the shape of this first bone and successfully transfered it. I have a whole new respect for tattoo artists who have to compose and draw around a 3 dimensional form.
Luckily, bone is much easier to paint on than it is to draw on, and I got the sky painted in quickly last night. This little guy is a sea wolf, one of many many ocean/land creature hybrids that were so popular in old bestiaries.
Oh I've also been meaning to post of picture of my bad habit, cleaning my brush on my left hand as I work:
I know, I have the tiniest hands.
I also just found this saved link about a cemetery in Russia where hungry bears are eating corpses. When the two women in the article first saw the bear hunched over a corpse they thought that he was a man in a fur coat (as this weird cgi reenactment from a Chinese news show demonstrates). I'd like to draw that.

7 comments:

Kati said...

i am so excited for the finished product! this looks amazing!

JGD said...

Man, it's such bullshit that they don't have pictures of the bears eating corpses in that article. What a rip off.

wandering genie said...

I'm sorry this awesome article made you feel so angry and disappointed. The weird cgi thing wasn't enough?

JGD said...

NO. I'M FURIOUS.

Kawana Heathcliff said...

dude, that channel is Chinese, not Japanese. hella offensive.

wandering genie said...

You're right, I definitely should have thought before I posted that. Thank You.

wandering genie said...

Oh and I say thank you because I appreciate that it is tiresome to both observe and correct racist stuff and I'm sorry I gave you occasion to.